Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Daily Schedule Revisited (7 months)

Ben is seven months old today! I can't believe it! Time has really flown. I have now been back at work for three months, and I have survived - amazing. For the record, the biggest challenge has been illnesses. The schedule is like finely tuned, well-oiled machine. Ben and I being sick is like someone hitting that machine with a wrench. After I remove the wrench, it takes a little while to fix the machine. Gawd, this metaphor is GENIUS!

Ben can sit up now, is really interactive, and can crawl backwards. Babyproofing is in our immediate future!
So I didn't do an update on the schedule at six months for two reasons. (1) I forgot. (2) By the time I remembered, I realized it was ok, because it was still basically the same as the five month old daily schedule. However, there have been a few changes since, so here ya go!

Workday Schedule (7 month old and Breastfeeding/Pumping)

5:45am - Dan wakes up, gets ready

6:00am - Dan wakes me up, I beg him for five more minutes. This may happen twice. I wake up and get ready. I shower the evening before, so during this time I put on my make-up, straighten or curl my hair, and get dressed. If Ben gets up during this time, Dan gets him until I am ready.

6:30am - 7:15am -  If Ben is still asleep, I bang around the kitchen while making his bottles, making my coffee, etc. I might also get all of my bags ready for work before I grab him if he is sleeping late. I bring my granola bar and water to Ben's room and breastfeed. I have had to start nursing him in his room in the morning versus the living room, because he gets too distracted. Sometimes he has a full sesh, sometimes he just snacks. I usually don't start actually breastfeeding until around 6:40am. If he is really sleeping hard, I might not get him up until 7am, because I feel terrible about waking him up. I'm late those mornings (but it hasn't happened often). While I am nursing Ben, Dan goes to Starbucks to get himself a venti french vanilla iced coffee with soy milk (his one luxury, he's such a yuppy). If it is a Tuesday or a non-flex Friday, he also drops Shelbs off at doggy daycare during this time.*

7:15-7:25am - I call down to Dan when Ben is finished nursing and he comes up and changes and dresses Ben while I make Ben's cereal for breakfast (and make his bottles for the day if I haven't done that already). Dan brings Ben downstairs and feeds him breakfast. I get my things together, kiss Ben and Shelbs goodbye (Ben could care less, Shelby whimpers), and run out the door.

7:25-8:00am - Commute to work. Traffic is definitely worse now that it is fall. Also, there is a sun glare this time of the year on sunny days. These annoying things are tempered by the glorious fall weather.

7:40am - Dan leaves the house to take Ben to daycare and go to work.

8:00am - Dan drops off Ben at daycare.

8:45am - Dan arrives at work.
    • During the day, Ben usually has three 6 oz bottles of pumped breast milk. I also send a fourth 4oz. bottle for him just in case, but he almost never has the fourth bottle.
    • Ben eats a jar of baby food for lunch around 11:30am. He also has either yogurt or another jar around 4pm.
    • Hopefully, Ben has a good morning and afternoon nap. At home, he sleeps for about 1-2hrs in the a.m. and 1-2hrs. in the pm. At daycare, we are lucky to get an hour at each nap. This is a constant struggle with me, because he is so much happier in the evenings when he is rested. But, he just sleeps less at daycare.
    • I pump three times at work - 8:15am, 12pm, 3:30pm. I normally pump 11-12 oz.
    • If I get in any exercise, it is during my lunch break. We have a gym in our building with a few treadmills. This doesn't happen much because I am almost always getting over a cold.
5:00pm - It's 5 o'clock somewhere! I leave work and drive like Cruella Deville to daycare, because I miss my son. I may call my sister or a friend (using Bluetooth!) and chat on the way there.

5:30pm - I arrive at daycare to pick up Ben. Most of the time, he smiles and is happy to see me. However, he usually fusses when I put him in the carseat.

5:45pm - If Shelby is at doggy daycare that day (Tuesdays and every other Friday), then I pick her up on the way home.

5:50pm - 6:00pm - Arrive home.

5:50pm-7:00pm - Throw the expressed breast milk and any daycare left overs in the fridge. Quickly let out Shelbs (Dan usually feeds her when he gets home). If Ben has fallen asleep on the way home, I may go ahead and wash bottles while he sleeps, or I may just sit on the couch and relax for a few minutes. He never naps past 6:30pm. Bathe Ben (I do this about every other day). Play with Ben, change and dress him for bed. Look at his fingernails, and say - Damn, I need to clip those. Don't clip them. Squeegee out his nose if it's stuffy. He absolutely hates this. Play with him some more until bed time. 

6:15pm-6:45pm- Dan gets home. Monday is usually his day off from running. On this day, he will usually bring something home for dinner. Other days, Dan warms up for his run, then goes for his run. Ben and I follow Dan around the house while he changes before his warm up and chat. While Dan warms up, Ben is usually playing next to him with me. 

7:00pm - Around this time, Ben will start to get fussy. I take him up to his room, check to see if he needs another diaper change or nose suckage, and nurse him. If he is clearly tired and fussy earlier, then we start nursing earlier.

7:30pm - Put Ben to bed. Like I said, it may be a little earlier or a little later than this, depending on how sleepy he is. Most of the time, he goes right to sleep. Occasionally, there are bad nights when he is super fussy for some reason and has a hard time going to sleep.

7:30pm-10pm- Lately, I wait to eat until after Ben is asleep. If I am starving, I will go ahead and fix myself something after I put him down. If I am not so starving, and Ben seems pretty knocked out, I will shower first. Dan gets home from his run, showers, and then makes himself some dinner and eats. Whoever gets to the bottles first washes them. Lately, it's about 50/50 who washes all of the bottles and pump parts, depending on if it is taking me longer to put Ben to sleep or if I am showering when Dan gets home or if Dan ran that night. Sometimes we eat dinner together if I have waited. Sometimes, I make the bottles for the next day, sometimes I leave that for the morning. Sometimes, I do it halfway (because I have to wait on other milk to defrost). I check and see if Ben needs any supplies for daycare. We collapse in front of the TV for a bit and pet the dog. I may grab some laundry to fold while watching TV.

10:00pm - We go to bed.

Wee hours of the morning - Ben usually sleeps through the night now (knock on wood).  The past week, I got into a not so wonderful habit of nursing him at 4:30am, because he was sick and needed the extra tender care. We didn't do that the past couple of mornings, so that might be gone, phew.

A couple of things to note:

(1) Ben now eats three "solid" meals a day. I tried feeding him "dinner" at home in the evening, but that didn't work out for us. Most of the time, he was too tired and cranky to eat then. I also realized that on the weekends, I was feeding him the "dinner" meal earlier. So I asked daycare to do it. That seems to be working well for us now, and they always say he is hungry for his meal then. We will probably need to adjust this even more not too far down the line when he starts eating even more.

(2) His mood in the evenings affects a lot, and I have to go with the flow. On magical happy days, he has had a good amount of rest during the day, and is happy and playful in the evening at home. Sometimes, he is tired and just wants to mostly be cuddled in the evenings. I try to just play it by ear and read his mood.

So that is our daily schedule with a 7 month old. Don't be jelly!
*Shelbys goes to daycare on Tuesdays because that is when we have the housekeeper come. Although the housekeeper only comes every other week, it is easier to just keep our schedule consistent each week with the dog walker. I am home every other Friday due to my flex schedule, so Shelbs goes to daycare on the other Friday. All other days, our sweet dog walker comes to walk Shelbs in the middle of the day so she can do her business.

No comments:

Post a Comment